Pages (2): « First [1] 2 » Last » Post Reply  Post Thread 

re-vinning a car
nathanmac
damn fords

Group: Registered
re-vinning a car

ok, i know this subject has been done to death, but I'm looking at a mid 60's falcon project that needs a bit of work.

i've never had to get a car back into the system again so what am i up for? the vehicle rego lapsed in the 90's but still shows up on carjam. has some rust which shouldnt be too much of a problem.

what am i expected to have done mechanically for a vin? brakes will all need cylinders done at least.

other than that what's involved? I wouldn't be planning on restoring it fully, just doing the minimum to get it on the road, then doing it bit by bit as needed.

i'm not going to commit to this if there's too much involved at the start of it all to be worthwhile.

from what ive read its around $700 to get through the process??

03-03-2010 04:06 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
zephyrheaven

Group: Moderators
RE: re-vinning a car

It aint all bad, depends who you get

down there i dunno mate, up here a mate put new pads and brakes hoses in a Mk1 go-tina and it ran straight thru but ive heard horror stories

the best bet is to go in with an open mind (and wallet)

if you want it done cheaper, send it up here obviously - spend a week up here sorting it perhaps?

main thing is DONT HIDE ANYTHING or else its all kind of red tape

learn the easy way - from every other bastarrrd lol

03-03-2010 07:28 PM
Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
nathanmac
damn fords

thanks cuz, yeah i think you have to choose wisely down here from what i've heard. i'm just not sure how far they dig - i'm not going to try hide anything, but do they pull the brakes apart etc, or is that just for imported cars?

also how much history do you need? obviously a car that shows up on carjam has been in the system, then its just proving ownership? is that where the police letter comes in?

if i had myself sorted earlier i could have got your fil to A frame it up tomorrow lol!

all depends how the deal stacks up whther its even worthwhile.....

03-03-2010 08:06 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
frd1
I want 6 stars!

Interesting, I've got to go through the same with the Granada this year. I want to take it to the Zephyr convention at Twizel...

04-03-2010 06:30 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
nathanmac
damn fords

are you irish?

04-03-2010 09:07 AM
zephyrheaven

yeah have to add it up, mind you - they dont make em anymore so prolly worthwhile

04-03-2010 04:54 PM
Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
jimmi two hats
in dog we thrust

i bet they still make them in india

trust him he knows what he's doing
04-03-2010 05:08 PM
zephyrheaven

nah, your thinking of Thailand where your hilux is made haaaa ha ha ha

04-03-2010 05:08 PM
nathanmac
damn fords

haha im not looking for a 2010 morris oxford.

so basically the re-vin process is just a really thorough WOF inspection by a certified inspector? as long as all the necessary paperwork matches up?

04-03-2010 05:40 PM
zephyrheaven

yo, thats about it

man we gotta do these patches for my shirts sometime nate, i mean 3 months ago LOL

04-03-2010 05:45 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 » Last »

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: